Monday, April 1, 2013

Harvest Monday - April 1, 2013

Another big week of harvests! Ah, well, no, let's make that a week with one big harvest. Of one vegetable. Big leaves. A few big leaves of Golden Chard.



The greens from these 7 leaves were enough to wilt down to about 3 generous portions. I seasoned it with garlic, pine nuts, sweet pepper flakes, and fish sauce. The greens were surprisingly tender for their size. The stems were used in another dish - sliced and braised in their own juices and then baked with crushed home-canned Fiaschetto tomatoes topped with dollops of ricotta and sprinkled with grated Parma cheese.

That's it for the past week - 2 lb., 2.4 oz. of Golden Chard
The total harvests of all the veggies from the garden this year are now up to 48 lb., 5.5 oz.

I'm still working my way through previous harvests. I used some of the celery harvest from the week before in a chopped salad that also featured some of the preserved sweet peppers that I have stashed in the refrigerator - just a couple of jars left now. And last night I cooked up a half pound of dried Gigante beans to make another salad with Dungeness crab.

Harvest Monday is hosted by Daphne on her blog Daphne's Dandelions, head on over there to see what other garden bloggers have been harvesting lately.

10 comments:

  1. Those are some big leaves. And beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beautiful. I've bought Golden chard seeds for this year, hope they do as well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog for the inspiration on preparing various garden items for the table. You always make such delicious things with your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This goldern chard looks great! I have only red and green green :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty chard! I like the idea of cooking them with pine nuts.. I will have to add that to the things to do with chard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chard is such a happy vegetable. . . I wish I liked it more ; ) Glad you do, and your menu ideas are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! What a great veggie to have in the garden, so robust! In Australia we call it silverbeet :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a yellow variety get that big - very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.