Monday, January 22, 2018

Harvest Monday - January 22, 2018

Welcome to Harvest Monday. I'm stepping in for Dave of Our Happy Acres as the temporary host of Harvest Monday for the month of January while he takes a much deserved break from the task of hosting every week. Harvest Monday is where we celebrate all things harvest related. This is the place to share your latest harvests and what you've been doing with them. If you would like to link up you will find Mr. Linky at the end of this post.

I didn't harvest a lot this week but it sure beat the ZERO harvests of the previous week. The broccoli and broccolini plants eked out a few more shoots.

Broccolini and Batavia Broccoli

I cleared out a lot of the winter radishes because they were bolting. All of the China Rose bolted, most of the Plum Purple (or is that Purple Plum?), and all of the Watermelon radishes were making an attempt to bloom. That long skinny half purple one is a runty Violette du Gournay. That variety is mostly resisting the urge to bolt for now. I kept the greens from the China Rose radishes, those are tender, mild, and smooth and they are great sautéed. I served them to some friends that were visiting and they guessed mustard greens and were surprised to find out that they were eating radish tops.


The Petite Snap Greens were starting to bloom so I cut back a few plants and collected the leafy tendrils. And that's the first of the baby Red Iceberg and Three Heart Butterhead lettuces for the year. It was so good to have a salad with some fresh greens from the garden.


Sunday I raided the pantry and freezer to make a stew with vaguely Mexican flavors. It featured Petaluma Gold Rush beans, bulk pork sausage, dehydrated zucchini, tomatillos, and roasted Anaheim peppers. Dave declared it a keeper so I've written up the recipe and you can find it on my recipe blog HERE.

If you have a harvest you want to show off then enter a link to your post below and please leave a comment too.



Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Auto-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.

11 comments:

  1. Stew sounds good. I put radishes in my ramen, roots and greens, like tender turnips and mild mustard greens. One of my favorite light meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really yummy, I have to give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Great harvest for so late (early?) in the year! I recognize those peas as parsley peas. Two of my Sugar Magnolia Tendril plants ended up being like those, with tons of tiny leaves instead of tons of 'grabby fingers.' Do yours climb? Or are they also without tendrils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have no tendrils at all, they are all leafy.

      Delete
  3. Those greens look so yummy! I miss them so much during the winter.

    Inspired by your China Rose radishes, I added them to my seed stash but they didn't make it into the ground - hopefully this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. China Rose is a nice multipurpose radish, but it does have a tendency to bolt when the weather doesn't cooperate. Fortunately the tops are still tasty even if the roots don't size up.

      Delete
  4. The broccoli looks yummy. I'm having photo-upload issues so haven't posted yet....hopefully will sort it out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with that photo problem, I'm looking forward to seeing your latest.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Michelle, we couldn't sort it out (despite valiant efforts from my technical adviser, aka Jan), so have posted without any pics :/

      Delete
  5. We haven’t been to harvest anything for over a fortnight - we must replenish stocks soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a good supply of reserves. Two weeks without a visit to my garden is unthinkable unless I'm traveling and even then I crave good vegetables.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I value your insights and feedback.